One of the main reasons why I’ve struggled with moving forward in life is because my dreams feel very expensive. I’ve heard it takes money to make money, but when you are constantly checking your account to see if you can make moves with the dream, it always seems like a hard “no”. I had to stop and think about how much I could get out of life if I started trying to live my dreams. Once again, I struggle with big goals and not making them smaller. So everything seemed overwhelming which kept me stuck. Until now! I decided that I was going to invest in myself. Which really means, last night, God told me to invest in myself and stop tripping through a dream I had. So, I did. You can’t go wrong when He tells you. He always has a plan, so I decided to follow through and see what happens. To start, I paid for the premium membership of this blog site so I could finally publish it the right way and get it out. I’ve written two blog posts since May (which isn’t a lot) but here it is in October and I wouldn’t put it out because I kept saying I can’t afford to pay the yearly membership to have my own site domain. Well if I wanted to reach just one person, as I have previously stated, it makes sense that I should be found, right? Right. I decided that I was going to invest in myself so that I can move up the ladder to reach these goals of mine. Boy do I have a lot of goals!
Now investing in yourself does not always have to be monetary, it really depends on what it is that you want. Is it just time and energy to focus on you? Is it finding a new career or moving up the ladder of a career that you are already in? Is it working on being a better parent? A better partner in a relationship? Or do you want to take a trip or buy a home? No matter what it is, you must take the first step to move towards this investment. For me, it was getting this site published and out into the world. Honestly, I’ve spent more on a pair of shoes or an outfit, so there was no excuse. Sometimes you get tired of being tired and you have to figure out what you want out of life. I was tired of being repetitive about something I was going to do but didn’t do it. There’s hope for all because I took the first step and I feel great! It’s your time now!
What does it even mean though to “invest in yourself”? It simply means that you want to choose you! There is nothing wrong with that. You are the only person in charge of your happiness. Whatever goals or dreams you have, you should be working on it every day to see those things come to life. The smallest step forward means you are closer to it.
Don’t know where to start? Here are a few tips for you:
1. Determine your goals: You can’t make any moves if you don’t have a clear goal in mind. Take some time out and think about the things you want to accomplish.
2. Write them down: I’ve got about 6 working journals at all times. Each journal is for a different goal and some are just to vent or pray about where I am in the process. But it helps to be able to write everything down.
3. Small test of change: Listen I am guilty of this…I write down my goals and then don’t bother to write down small steps to get to it. It looks a little like this: "write a book". The end. When I look at this goal, I get overwhelmed so I don't move. It's foolish, I know. If you take this big goal and break it down to figure out how to achieve it, I promise you it will then make sense and feel less overwhelming.
4. Learn everything about your goal: Perhaps you have a goal in mind and you’ve written it down and you’ve thought about some steps but not sure if that’s everything. Do your homework and research. Google is Life. Now that Alexa, Siri and Google talk back, you literally have zero excuses! The more you know, the better you can make this investment in your self.
5. Find support: This will probably be one of my tips for literally everything! It’s good to find a support system that will encourage you to move forward. Can’t find a friend or family member to support you, there are so many good online communities that will push you a long the way. Find like-minded people to help you move forward. Find a mentor or someone who has accomplished what you want to do and ask them how.
6. Don’t give up. Investing in yourself takes time. Sometimes it doesn’t always work out the way that you want, but never give up on it.
I can only share how rewarding it has been to make these initial steps in getting this blog out. Every time I go to my site, I am so excited because I’ve done something to follow my dreams. I pray that you can identify how you want to make the investment! Dreams are expensive, but you are worth it!!